Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thinking...about Life

Dear 6E,

The question posed "This house believes that Man should live forever."

In the movie, "The Island" we look at how clones are put into an artifical world to keep them ready, healthy until their "Real" bodies need their organs. The movie makes you want to root for the clones and hope that they escape.

My Questions:

1. What did you learn from the character Lincoln 6?

His desire to know more "Where do the tubes go to? Why must they wear white even if its easily dirty? Why must they eat tofu? Who cleans their clothes?"

2. Is it important to ask questions? Why and why not?

In the movie, "My Sister's Keeper" we look at how without clones, we are unable to live forever and even young children suffer and die. The movie makes you think about who controls the rights to your body, relationships and love.

Unlike the novel, Kate dies in the movie. I believe that she dead so that her family, her sister can live.

3. Was Anna selfish not to give up her kidney for Kate to have a chance to survive? Why?

Last question:

4. Was this boring/interesting/thought-provoking? Do you think that Ms Wen was wrong to conduct this lesson as it was too difficult for 6E to go through the process of thinking and asking questions?

Enjoy the long break while we mark your exam scripts!

Love Ms Wen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like My Sister's keeper a lot . It is really very interesting but sad. Can we continue again ? . I want to watch .

Anonymous said...

Miss wen have any of yr students you taught in 6E last time failed eng/sci in psle? Im afraid i will fail ...

W said...

I m glad you enjoyed the show. Yes, its very interesting when we watch the movie but imagine next time when you have to read the book. Remember to always try to find a way to help you learn better.

The questions I asked in class were meant to make you think. There are no right or wrong answers, its the maturity of your thinking - which is why the more you read, the more facts you have to make you decide.

Really glad you loved the movie.

Thank you for telling me.

Love Ms Wen

W said...

I think I know who you might be.

Don't think of failure. The exams are over and there is nothing you can do about it.

Which was why, before the exams, I kept nagging you to revise and I went through the concepts until I knew that many of you were "shut off".

Yes, unfortunately there was 1 pupil who scored D for Science when I taught 6E(2007). Fortunately their other subjects helped to push their marks up so that they could go to Normal A/T.

No matter what your results are, we have to look forward and think of what choices we have.

If that time comes, I will be here for you.

Anonymous said...

I really regret It ms wen ..... I hate myself ...
If I really retain . I'm not going to daydream again ....